Mid-Summer Penne-a-la-Courgette Mixed Bowl
We are going raw this August together with many of you! How do you even begin changing your food habits for a month without attending a course, getting hundreds of raw cookbooks, spending hours watching videos or breaking your wallet?
You begin with simple things and start playing with variations and adding some more creative ingredients.
This recipe is one of the definite summer staples. Once you start playing with sauces and toppings – you are in the realm of infinite (plant)possibilities.
Two of our favourite ingredients are in full-boom right now: courgettes and heirloom tomatoes. The local, organic, ripe and flavoursome kind. If there was ever a time for courgette pasta – it is now!
If you don’t have a spiraliser or can’t be bothered using it (oh it happens, trust us); this recipe is for you. It is super easy to cut plump and soft summer courgettes using a knife. Cut diagonally first and then lengthwise to make chip-like or penne-like size bites.
Midsummer Penne-a-la-courgette Mixed Bowl
- 2 courgettes
- 1 heirloom tomato
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1 stalk of celery
- 4 TBLS of thick coconut milk (we like this one)
- 1 date, pitted
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- pinch of salt
- 2 spring onions (one for blending in a sauce and one for topping, chopped finely)
- few thin slices of fresh summer English chillies
- 1-2 TBLS of kimchi or sauerkraut
- A handful of kelp noodles (optional)
- 2-3 TBLS hulled hemp seed
- a handful of black sundried olives (pitted)
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Optional toppings: black summer truffles, capers, marinated artichokes, sliced avocado, alfalfa or radish sprouts.
Wash and cut courgettes diagonally into thin 3-4mm slices. Then cut those slices lengthwise into thin, chip-like size sticks. Put aside in a bowl with a tiny sprinkle of salt. Repeat the same action with big heirloom tomatoes.
In the meantime, make a sauce by blending together: kimchi or sauerkraut, spring onion, salt, lemon juice, date, garlic, chilli, celery stick, coconut milk. Blend till the sauce is creamy and smooth.
Mix in the sauce into the courgette and heirloom tomato bowl, add a handful of glass kelp noodles, sprinkle generously with hulled hemp seed, add whole pitted olives, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and serve.