Plant-Passionate Seaweed And Shiitake Ramen Bowl
Have you noticed how all these Japanese ramen bars started popping up all over town?
We love the concept of a hearty miso broth (minus all the meat and wheat noodles;) so we created something along the lines of rawsome, mineral-rich, plant-based ramen bowl – with a dash of ‘wild’.
It is super wintery and perfect for preventing or nursing colds, packed with medicinal goodness from seaweed, shiitake mushrooms and spices, and boy it is filling!
For the Miso base:
- 2 TBLS raw miso paste (choose gluten-free one if you prefer)
- 1 TBLS black sesame butter
- 1/2 inch fresh lemongrass
- 1tsp tamari
- 1tsp rice vinegar
- 2 soft dates
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1/4 shallot
- fresh chilli to taste
- 1/4 inch of ginger
- 2 fresh shiitake mushrooms
For Shiitake broth:
- 6-8 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 shallot
- 1 clove garlic
- chilli to taste
- 1/4 inch of ginger
- 1 TBLS coconut oil
- 1 tsp dulse flakes
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1l water
In a Vitamix blend raw spices listed under the miso base section with miso, black sesame butter, all the rest of the ingredients and just enough water to cover the blades.
Heat a saucepan with 1 TBLS of coconut oil. Saute the shallot, garlic, ginger and chilli. Add finely sliced shiitake mushrooms. Once the mushrooms softened, add 1l of water and lemon juice to taste. Simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes. One your broth has cooled down to about 65-70 C degrees, mix in the creamy paste made in a Vitamix. Adjust the taste according to your preference by adding more tamari, lemon juice or salt.
Serve with a selection of toppings:
- black rice noodles – boil in water for 5 minutes then rinse in cold water or use raw kelp noodles instead
- sliced daikon/ radish
- sliced avocado
- sliced dulse seaweed
- shredded kale – massage in some lemon juice and salt to soften
- activated sunflower seeds or any other seeds
- black pepper to taste
- flaked red cabbage & seaweed – process 1/2 small red cabbage in a food processor with 1 TBLS of seaweed (kelp or dulse) flakes, 1 tsp coconut sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, 1 TBLS extra virgin olive oil.
With Celebration & Appreciation,
Aiste, Joel & the Wild Team xoxo